Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why Christianity Part 1


As you can tell this blog started off as a journal documenting my thoughts as I began to read the Old Testament, but I thought it would be better to journal my life experiences as a Christian instead. Over the centuries Christianity has gotten a bad wrap and has participated in some of the worst events kown to mankind in the name of God. In fact, my conversations with individuals on religion and the bible have resulted in many painful testimonies as people recounted their experiences with religion.


I myself have my own painful experiences with religion that are still haunting me today. You see I was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness, and from this point I will refer to them as JW’s. My grandparents, cousins, mother, and other relatives on my mother’s side of the family were all JW’s. I became very active in this organization and was baptized at 16 and Auxiliary Pioneering by 17 (this is like being a part time missionary in your state).

I truly believed that I was a part of the only true Christian religion on Earth, and all others were Satan’s attempts to remove us from God’s true religion. As I got older and began to read the bible myself I would start to question the JW’s doctrine. I would start to see their punishments for sin, and how un-loving and opposite from God’s nature they were. As I kept reading the bible I came to a conclusion that God’s number one quality was love and all personality traits evolved around this concept of love, including discipline. Love is a simple word with such a complex meaning behind it, I could literally devote pages to this one word and its true meaning.

As I got older I decided that the JW’s were more like a cult than a religion and used the bible as a means of control in an extreme way, instead of helping one to grow in their personal walk with God. I never doubted that there was a creator to this world, I don’t care how much science there is; in my eyes none of their arguments can answer the question of creation the way the bible does.

Because of my decision not to be a JW my family has decided to outcast me and eventually I was disfellowshipped. In my families eye’s I am dead and they are not to talk to me in any way shape or form, or they themselves could face disfellowshipping. If I was in the hospital dying none would visit, if I was starving none would feed me, if I needed a place to live none would open their door. In fact in their eyes if Armageddon were to happen today I would be destroyed. Like I said God is love and according to his word his son Jesus died so that we could be forgiven unconditionally once we sincerely repented to God, not man, for our sins.

I have been married for three years and have a 10 month old son whose picture is my profile picture. To this day none on my mother’s side has seen either one. So I to know how it feels to have been wronged in the name of God, God never intended families to be separated in his name.

So why….why would I choose to be apart of a religion that has wronged so many people throughout its history? Why would I be a part of a society that is responsible for more deaths then all the wars of the US combined, because I believe in the source of their knowledge, the bible. You see it was Jesus’ apostles in the book of Acts 11:26 that called themselves Christians. According to http://www.merriam-webster.com their definition of Christian is “one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus”. So you see in Jesus time there was only one Christian teaching (or religion), and that was the apostles of Christ. There was no Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, JW’s, Mormons, Evangelical, Unitarianism, Methodism, just students of Christ and the knowledge they just learned from him.

I believe, and once again this is just me, that religion is Satan’s tactic to take the word of God and his image and destroy it. Think about it, every Christian religion thinks theirs is the only way, none really have love for one another even though Paul teaches we are to be like one body under Christ, read Romans chapter 12:4-8. Religions tend to concentrate more on their doctrine and their laws then what the bible teaches. Most of all religion separates everyone from one another, and love and unity we are all suppose to have is gone. This includes all religions such as Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.

I hate to stop here but there's much more to write.  In "Why Christianity Part II I want to touch on Church and how it is a vital part of being a christian and what lead me to believe in all of this good stuff.  I promise it will be good reading.

 Continued on Why Christianity Part II Coming Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment