Monday, January 17, 2011

Should He Lead Again

The other day there was a show on TV on Ted Haggard. It was a special about his familiy's attempts to start a new church in Colorado Springs. For those not familiar with him, he was the senior pastor at New Life Church in Colorado, and was a prominent leader in the National Association of Evangelicals. Four years ago he was caught up in a scandal which linked him to a male prostitute, and drugs. It was a scandal that rocked America, and had a grand affect on the Christian world.

In the end Ted Haggard was removed from his pastoral and leadership roles and was torn apart in the media. Before his fall out, he was the face of Christianity on TV. Before I would come to know who he was, I would see him on TV any time they needed a spokesperson to speak on behalf of Christians. Four years later, he has decided to re-establish his role as a pastor which brings the debate….is this okay, should he be allowed to hold this position and lead people on their spiritual journey?

This is something my wife and I discussed as we watched the show. First, let me point out that no one has the right to point the finger at someone’s mistakes or faults for we all have skeleton’s in our closets that we would rather die then share with others. Secondly, everyone deserves forgiveness for one’s past, no matter how crazy it was, that’s the whole premise behind repentance. As I watched I could agree with some of his argument’s, the main one being that church should be a place for all people of all backgrounds. It should be a place not just for the righteous, but a safe haven for those who earnestly need a helping hand, freedom from any bondage they seek release from.

At one point the media asked if homosexuals were welcome to his new church, which he responded yes. You know what’s sad, I thought church was a place for all. Last time I read the bible there was no difference in sin whether you are sleeping around with people of the opposite sex, or people of the same sex. Seriously, I don’t understand why homosexuality is placed on such a high pedestal, when biblically it’s no different then lying in the eye’s of God. What blows me away, is how the same people picketing against homosexuals, with all their judgment and hate think their any holier then those they target.

Ted would go on to discuss his out casting from the very church he helped found, and his new found view as a pastor that Christianity is all about love for others and accepting them not based on their background, but for the people they are. This is what has bothered me about this wonderful religion that Christ died for, and in scripture lived as a perfect example for us. So many Christians, and churches have lost track of what we are here for, even though we teach about it every Sunday……the love of our fellow man. Aren’t we all broken? Are we all imperfect, don’t we all fall short of God’s glory every day? Then why are we so quick to cast the shadow of judgment on people in their weakest moments. As Christian’s aren’t we suppose to be the one’s anyone can come to and find love and feel acceptance in a world so quick to cast judgment and hate?


I mean wasn’t it Jesus that showed this as he sat and ate with the very people the religious elect of his day rejected like prostitutes, tax collectors, the poor, the sickly, and so on? Wasn’t it God who also showed this as he called a man named Saul, who was their version of Hitler, as he was on his way to slaughter thousands of God’s own people. Wouldn’t Paul go on to write ¾’s of the New Testament. These are the stories we read and preach about everyday of the year, and yet we are so fast to push people struggling with sin out of our sights, or turn our back to those opposite to our belief system. Now, I’m not saying this all of Christianity…but it is a virus that has certainly pitched it’s tent throughout our churches.

In the end my wife and I agreed that a pastoral role is one of the most important positions a person can hold. It is a position of influence in which you will be looked at almost God like by your congregation members. You are the person they will turn to in their times of need, their times of hardship, their times of joy. You will be a person they turn to for guidance in some of life biggest decisions. You are to be a leader and an example, and a life of a pastor is self sacrificing because you are the example your followers will imitate. I think once Ted Haggard fell from grace he relinquished that privilege to represent God as a pastor forever.

As you read through the bible you will see many people who were brought to power by God himself and choose to go against his rules. Even though some would go onto repent, none would ever have the privilege to lead God’s people again. I think it’s wonderful Ted’s wife stayed with him and his children still support him. I think it’s sad his church closed their doors on him and his family, instead of surrounding him we he needed them the most. We are all imperfect and many of us come to God in prayer quite regularly asking him for forgiveness. Let us pour out the same love for others that we seek in private and change the perception that has plagued us for so many years. I encourage all to practice the same love that Christ gave to the world. I feel blessed that I was surrounded with the people I was, and I found Oak Creek Assembly of God. It took me many years to finally make a step in the right direction, and so many times I deserved rejection, but they never gave up on me.

Instead, I would receive constant calls of motivation and encouragement. My fellow brothers would make sure to immerse me in their presence, and never gave up when I tried to distance myself so I could go back to my old ways. I was as bad as they get, and I thank God all the time for the people in my life that loved me more when I deserved it the least. It was that never ending love that has helped me to be the best husband, father, brother, son, and friend I could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment